From Allspice to Za’atar: Spice Organization Tips & Tricks (+ Printable Labels)

Be honest: If I were to look in your spice drawer/rack/cabinet right now, what would I find?

Stale poppy seeds from the last millennium? A jar of dusty old dried thyme that smells like, well, nothing? A little tin of szechuan peppercorns you bought to make some weird recipe in college and have yet to crack open since?

Sounds like you are due for a spice makeover.

Contrary to popular belief, dried herbs and spices do not have an indefinite shelf life. They may not grow mold, but every year that goes by, more flavor goes with it. Especially if those spices are stored in direct light or in a warm place (so that glass spice spinner sitting next to your oven? Probably not the best place for them).

From Allspice to Za'atar: Spice Drawer Organization Tips & Tricks (Plus Printable Spice Jar Labels)

I personally store my spices in a set of drawers in our kitchen hutch. It serves to keep the spices out of the light and away from heat, and even though it’s on the other side of the room, is still fairly accessible when I need it.

I make it sound like I’ve got my ish together when it comes to spices, but let me tell you, the previous state of our spice drawer was pretty sad.

As a result of some prior partnerships with more than one spice company who basically sent us a jar of every spice they make, we found ourselves awash with expired spices, far more than could fit in the two drawers on our hutch (they were overflowing into our pantry as well). Many were obscure spices or seasoning blends that had never even been opened. Also, the mismatched labels and jars from multiple brands bothered me (type-A, much?)

I figured, what better way to kick of the New Year than with a fresh set of spices, complete with matching spice jars and custom labels (be sure to click through to download the free printable labels for your own use!)

(more…)



from Love and Olive Oil http://bit.ly/2Dyj5Ev

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake

This fabulous fall coffee cake will satisfy your seasonal cravings, with a tender, moist crumb packed with pumpkin flavor and fragrant fall ...