The Colorful Island of Burano, Italy

I’ve always been a lover of color.

Bright turquoise. Chartreuse. Lemon yellow. Hot pink.

I think I have one black dress in the back of my closet… somewhere. I really only like gray because of the cats. And don’t even get me started on beige.

Give me color and you give me life.

Which is why this place… this tiny island off the coast of Venice, is quite possibly my new favorite place in the world.

Welcome to Burano, Italy.

Along the canal, Burano, Italy Colorful Houses along the canal, Burano, Italy Green palm against a bright yellow wall, Burano, Italy Pastel colored houses, Burano, Italy

We spent part of a day in Burano during our recent trip to Venice, and it was so charming I felt it deserved it’s own post (I do have a few more images and recommendations for Venice, this being our second time there, and may end up doing another post at some point, but for now, check out the recap of our trip last year!)

Many people lump Murano and Burano together, hitting both in the same day while visiting Venice, but to be honest, unless you’re really into glass blowing, Murano is pretty dull by comparison (and even the traditional glass blowing there has been commercialized to the point where the glass demonstrations and basically just glorified sales pitches).

Burano is a pleasant 45 minute vaparetto (aka water bus) ride from Venice. My advice? Get up early, catch the #12 water bus straight to Burano. You’ll miss the bulk of the crowds (most people start in Murano and then go to Burano later in the day) and have much of the charming, colorful canals and courtyards all to yourself.

Another tip? Get off at the Mazzorbo stop, just before the island of Burano. It’s a charming and peaceful sister island, and a pleasant stroll over the bridge to Burano. (The photo below of the precious little red house was taken along this very path).

(more…)



from Love and Olive Oil https://ift.tt/2ObGCxL

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meyer Lemon Curd (Extra Thick!)

This tart and tangy Meyer lemon curd is extra thick (thanks to the extra thickening power of cornstarch), with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel...