Zurich, Switzerland: For the love of chocolate.

I’ll fully admit to letting my stomach guide me in our decision to spend 2 days in Zurich this past spring, or, more accurately, my sweet tooth led us there.

To put it bluntly: I wanted chocolate. Real Swiss chocolate. And lots of it.

That’s as much a reason to go somewhere as anything, right?

Zurich, Switzerland in the rain Walking over the Limmat river in Zurich, Switzerland Rainy day in Zurich, Switzerland Cloudy day in Zurich, Switzerland Tree-lined street and trolley car, Zurich, Switzerland

Our big trip this year was a family affair, the result of perhaps a few too many margaritas during our family reunion in Lake Tahoe last fall. It didn’t take much poking and prodding to make it a reality, and before we knew it we found ourselves with flights booked and a rough itinerary planned, giving us 5 nights in Venice and 6 nights in the most amazing castle chateau in the Loire Valley region of France (I plan to share more about this part very soon!)

But we found ourselves with 2 unaccounted for days in the middle of the trip. The rest of our party was splitting up, my sister and her friend heading off to the turquoise waters of Croatia and Greece, and my aunts and cousin were going to drive to France, stopping in Turin and Lyon along the way. We weren’t too keen on the whole 14-hours-in-a-car thing, but what else to do with that time?

We could always spend it in Paris, sure, and that would have been the most economical option (we had to get back to Paris anyway to catch the train to the Loire Valley), but we’ve already been to Paris, and while we certainly could have occupied ourselves there with pastries alone, were itching to visit someplace new.

Zurich was on our shortlist, a place that I felt drawn to ever since I learned of my Swiss ancestry (no wonder I love cheese and chocolate so much), and visiting just seemed right. So, we booked a cheap flight from Venice to Zurich and set about deciding what to do with the whole 36 hours we had to spend there.

(more…)



from Love and Olive Oil https://ift.tt/2KQlDil

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meyer Lemon Curd (Extra Thick!)

This tart and tangy Meyer lemon curd is extra thick (thanks to the extra thickening power of cornstarch), with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel...