Clips & Quips: Head to Toe Edition

Taylor and I are headed off to Europe for two weeks, spending time in Venice (we loved it so much the first time we just had to go back!) and the Loire Valley in France, with a short stopover in Zurich. We’re traveling with a few members of my extended family, and, needless to say, we’re quite excited for this newest adventure. Be sure to follow me on Instagram as I’ll be posting plenty of Stories and delicious photos during our trip.

I’ve tried to get a few recipes scheduled to go up while we’re gone, but if it’s a bit quiet around here (or if I’m a little slow responding to comments/emails) it’s because I’m busy stuffing my face with gelato (no shame).

This will be our first time flying Aer Lingus, which has an unusually restrictive carryon baggage policy. Normally Taylor and I are pros at fitting 2 weeks worth of clothes, shoes, toiletries and essentials (and even a pretty robust first aid kit and a spare duffel for souvenirs) into a carry-on size roller. And the size isn’t the problem, it’s that Aer Lingus restricts by weight as well, 22 pounds to be exact.

There are hidden sights all over Venice, you just have to know where to look.

Let this be a lesson to us all: always check the airline baggage requirements before heading to the airport! European airlines in particular tend to be extra restrictive. I’m glad I realized this limitation beforehand, otherwise I would’ve stuffed my carryon with whatever would fit, which would most definitely weight more than 22lbs.

One of the hardest parts of traveling light is figuring out which shoes to bring. Especially when weight limited, it means I can only bring 2 pairs of shoes, what’s on my feet and one other (preferably lightweight) pair (being able to alternate shoes gives my feet a rest and makes for a much more pleasant experience). I have such difficult feet (size 5/5.5 and sky high arches) that finding something comfortable that’s not ridiculously ugly is virtually impossible. I know I need arch support, but even more than that I need cushion, which rules out most of the most common ‘supportive’ shoe brands which have very hard footbeds.

It’s unfortunate that you can’t really know if a new pair of shoes is going to work out until you’ve walked (literally) a few miles in them. And at that point they are beyond returnable (like that pair of $100+ fancy arch support walking shoes I bought that seemed comfortable enough at first, but after an hour or two walking around the streets of Florence my feet were in such pain I was ready to throw the shoes in the trash.)

I think I’m good in the sneaker department for this trip (I recently got a pair of AllBirds [in the pale pink!] that are both cute and comfy. Score!) but the sandal is proving to be more difficult. I probably ordered 20 different pairs of shoes from Amazon and ended up sending them all back (I’m just waiting for Amazon to ban me from ordering any more shoes). So, it looks like I’ll be bringing my old standby Croc sandals, which are practically disintegrating, and they’ve since discontinued that style (and other styles I tried just aren’t as comfortable). But they’ve got at least one more trip in them. As for future trips, well, the search continues.

Am I the only one that has shoe woes like this? It’s borderline ridiculous. If anyone else has problematic feet like mine and has any suggestions for cushiony shoes that can withstand that much walking without being horribly ugly… well, I’m all ears.

(more…)



from Love and Olive Oil https://ift.tt/2FDOvag

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meyer Lemon Curd (Extra Thick!)

This tart and tangy Meyer lemon curd is extra thick (thanks to the extra thickening power of cornstarch), with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel...